James William Klett
Carbon Materials Group
Materials Science & Technology Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
P.O. Box 2008
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6087
Phone: (865) 574-5220
Fax: (865) 576-8424
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, 1994, Clemson University
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, 1991, Clemson University
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, 1990, Clemson University
- Carbon Foams for Thermal Management
- High Thermal Conductivity Carbon-Carbon
- Low Cost Carbon-Carbon
- Carbon Interfaces
Brief Synopsis of Current Research Activities:
- Current Programs:
- Development of high thermal conductivity carbon foam heat exchangers and heat sinks for power electronics and other electronic applications.
- Development of high thermal conductivity carbon foam automotive radiator applications.
- Development of high thermal conductivity carbon foam pistons and other engine components.
- Development of a porous fibrous ceramic substrate for catalytic combustors for the reduction of NOx in gas turbine power generators.
- Development of low-cost graphitic bi-polar plate based on slurry molding techniques for the miniaturization of PEM fuel cells for automotive applications.
- Development of thermal management fabrics for the National Security Programs Office.
- To optimize the above mentioned processes for the fabrication of high thermal conductivity carbon/carbon composites for use as thermal substrates.
- Oxidative stabilization of mesophase pitch to increase the density and mechanical properties of thick carbon/carbon composites in a single cycle processing step.
- Evaluate the use of carbon molecular sieves for the purification of waste water streams from sewage treatment plants. Such sieves can be used to remove organic compounds, heavy metal ions and other compounds added to the sewage stream during treaments.
- "Process for Coating Carbon Fibers with Pitch and Composites made Therefrom" U.S. Serial number 5,334,414. Assigned to Clemson University.
- "Method for Rapid Fabrication of Fiber Preforms and Structural Composite Materials," U.S. Serial number 5,744,075, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Method for Rapid Fabrication of Fiber Preforms and Structural Composite Materials, notice of allowance in August 1998.
- Carbon Fiber Composite Thermal Imaging Sensor, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Carbon Foam Heat Sink with Phase Change Material, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- Pitch-based Carbon Foam and Composites, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Process patent ).
- Pitch-based Carbon Foam and Composites” Oak Ridge National Laboratory (Product by process patent)
- Thermally Conductive Carbon Foam, Oak Ridge National Laboratory.
- 1998 Co-Engineer of the Year for Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- 1998 Development Accomplishment Award