Publications and Patents
Over last few years ORNL researchers have published numerous high quality journal and scientific publications in the area of electrical energy storage which runs into more than hundred. This is in addition to joint publications between ORNL and other academic and industrial institutions based on the research undertaken at our various user centers. We have more than 15 issued patents, 20 pending patent applications and over 80 invention disclosures in the area of electrical energy storage. A few selected publications during the last few years are listed below
- Local detection of activation energy for ionic transport in lithium cobalt oxide, N. Balke, S. Kalnaus, N. J. Dudney, C. Daniel, S. Jesse, and S. V. Kalinin Nano Lett. DOI: 10.1021/nl300219g (2012).
- Phosphorous Pentasulfide as a Novel Additive for High-Performance Lithium-Sulfur Batteries,” Z. Lin, Z. Liu, W. Fu, N Dudney, and CD Liang; Advanced Functional Materials, (2012).
- Voltage dependent Charge Storage Modes and Capacity in Subnanometer Pores”, P. Wu, J. Huang, V. Meunier, B. G. Sumpter, R. Qiao, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. ASAP (2012).
- Topotactic Synthetic Methodology for Highly Fluorine-Doped Mesoporous Metal Oxides. Z. A. Qiao, S. S. Brown, J. Adcock, G. M. Veith, J. C. Bauer, E. A. Payzant, R. R. Unocic, S. Dai, Angewandte Chemie-International Edition, 51 (12), 2888-2893 (2012).
- In Situ Observation of Solid Electrolyte Interphase Formation in Ordered Mesoporous Hard Carbon by Small-Angle Neutron Scattering. C. A. Bridges, X. G. Sun, J. K. Zhao, M. P. Paranthaman,S. Dai, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 116 (14), 7701-7711 ( 2012).
- Influence of lithium salts on the discharge chemistry of Li-air cells” Gabriel M. Veith, Jagjit Nanda, Laetitia H. Delmau, Nancy J. Dudney – Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 3(10), 1242-1247 (2012).
- Conductive surface modification of LiFePO4 with nitrogen-doped carbon layers for lithium-ion batteries, S. Yoon, C. Liao, X –G Sun, C. A. Bridges, R. R. Unocic, J. Nanda , S. Dai, M. P. Paranthaman, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22, 4611-4614 (2012).
- Anomalous Discharge Product Distribution in Lithium-Air Cathodes, Jagjit Nanda, Hassina Bilheux, Sophie Voisin, Gabriel M. Veith, Richard Archibald, Lakeisha Walker, Srikanth Allu, Nancy J. Dudney, and Sreekanth Pannala - The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 116(15), 8401-8408 (2012).
- Optimization of LiFePO4 Nanoparticle Suspensions with Polyethyleneimine for Aqueous Processing, J. Li, B. L. Armstrong, J. Kiggans, C. Daniel, D. L. Wood III, Langmuir, 28, 3783−3790, (2012).
- Accurate static and dynamic properties of liquid electrolytes for Li-ion batteries from ab initio molecular dynamics, P. Ganesh, D. Jiang, P. R. C. Kent. Journal of Physical Chemistry B 115 3085 (2011).
- Mesoporous TiO2–B Microspheres with Superior Rate Performance for Lithium Ion Batteries,” H. Liu, Z. Bi, X. Sun, R. R. Unocic, M. P. Paranthaman, S. Dai, G. M. Brown, Advanced Materials, 23, 3450-3454 (2011).
- Oscillation of Capacitance inside Nanopores, D. E. Jiang, Z. H. Jin, Wu, J. Z Nano Lett., 11, 5373 (2011).
- Effective conductivity of particulate polymer composite electrolytes using random resistor network method, S. Kalnaus, A. Sabau, S. Newman, W. E. Tenhaeff, C. Daniel, N. J. Dudney, Solid State Ionics, 199-200, 44-53 (2011).
- Low temperature fluorination of soft-templated mesoporous carbons for a high power Li-carbon fluoride battery, Pasquale F. Fulvio, Suree S. Brown, Jamie Adcock, Richard T. Mayes, Bingkun Guo, Xiao-Guang Sun, Shannon M. Mahurin, Gabriel M. Veith and Sheng Dai, Chemistry of Materials 23(20), 4420-4427 (2011).
- Complex Capacitance Scaling in Ionic Liquids-Filled Nanopores”, P. Wu, J. Huang, V. Meunier, B. G. Sumpter, R. Qiao, ACS Nano 5, 9044 (2011).
- Observation of Local State of Charge Distributions in Lithium-ion Battery Electrodes, Jagjit Nanda, Jeffrey T. Remillard, Ann O’Neill, Dawn Bernardi, Tina Ro, Ken Nietering, Ted J. Miller Adv. Funct. Mater., 21, 3282–3290. (2011).
- Materials Processing for Lithium Ion Batteries, J. Li, D. Wood, C. Daniel, J. Power Sources 196 2452–2460 (2011).
- Ionic Transport Across Interfaces of Solid Glass and Polymer Electrolytes for Lithium Ion Batteries, W. E. Tenhaeff, X. Yu, K. Hong, K. A. Perry and N. J. Dudney, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, 158, A1143 (2011).
- Nanoscale mapping of ion diffusion in a lithium-ion battery cathode, N. Balke, S. Jesse, A. N. Morozovska, E. Eliseev, D. W. Chung, Y. Kim, L. Adamczyk, R. E. García, N. Dudney, and S.V. Kalinin, Nat. Nanotech. 5, 749-754 (2010).
- Hierarchically Structured Sulfur/Carbon Nanocomposite Material for High Energy Lithium Battery, C. D. Liang, J. Howe, N. J. Dudney, Chemistry of Materials, 21, 4724-4730 (2009).