Frequently asked questions
When SAMMY doesn't work ...
- Usually this is the result of input errors.
- See below what to do in this case.
- Sometimes it's a bug
- SAMMY does have bugs
- If you find one, please tell the author about it.
What to do when SAMMY doesn't work?!
- Do not panic -- this happens to everybody.
- Is this run really the same as the one that worked
- Think carefully -- exactly what did you change.
- Look at the LPT file in detail.
- Did SAMMY understand all of your instructions?
- Maybe you had a typo.
- Maybe you made up your own command instead
of using one SAMMY understands.
- Is SAMMY using the same parameter values that you intended?
- Maybe you had a typo. Look for factors-of-ten
- Would additional information help?
- Maybe you need to ask SAMMY to
print out more initial values,
more intermediate steps.
- Did SAMMY give you an error message?
- Look at the very end of the file.
- Can you simplify and/or isolate the problem?
- Use a smaller energy range.
- Vary fewer parameters.
- Drop normalization and background options.
- Do no broadening.
- Find the smallest case for which the error occurs, and
try to understand what is unique about that case.
- If the problem persists, ask for help!
HELP is available
- Talk to your office-mate.
- Maybe you've just been looking at it for
too long, and someone else can see immediately
what you can no longer see!
- Talk to the most experienced SAMMY user in
- It does get easier with practice!
- Talk to the author at
- First, send information but not files. Describe the
problem in some detail:
- What version of SAMMY are you using?
- What features are in use?
- Did the code bomb or just give wrong
- In which module did the bomb occur?
- For example, SAMMY-RSL might be
the last thing in the
LPT file. Or M6-SAMMY-SSM might appear
on the screen right before the bomb.
- What error message did SAMMY give you?
- Does a minor perturbation of this case work
- When requested, send very small files from the
simplest case which has the problem: command file,
INPut file, PARameter file, and DATa file
- as attachments if possible
- otherwise as separate e-mail messages
Please return the favor...
- If you find and fix a bug in your version of SAMMY, please
tell the author about it so that she can fix it in the official
- In the code
- In the lecture notes
- In the users' guide
- SAMMY is imperfectly dummy-proofed -
- Error messages do not always exist.
- When they exist, they may not always be helpful.
- If you can suggest a more informative error message,
the author would be happy to consider using it.