Phone: (865) 576-7597
Fax: (865) 241-6261
PhD, Computer Science, University of Minnesota, 2009
B.Tech., Computer Science, Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM), 2002
2011 – Present, Research Scientist, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TN
2009 – 2011, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, TN
April – July 2009, Visiting Researcher, NASA Ames Research Center, CA
2002 – 2009, Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant, University of Minnesota, MN
2006 – 2007, Intern, Yahoo Data Mining Research, CA
2001, Intern, Webtek Softwares, India
Awards, Honors, and Certifications
- Recipient of 2006 Research Excellence Award by Department of Computer Science, University of Minnesota.
- Received award for one of the top 3 student paper submissions at 5th International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM), November 2005.
- Recipient of Student Travel Awards at SDM 2009, ICDM 2008, ICDM 2005.
- Recipient of National Talent Search Scholarship (NTS), India, 1995.
- Mining massive data sets
- Machine learning
- Spatiotemporal data mining
- Anomaly/outlier detection
- Knowledge discovery
- Algorithm development
- Varun Chandola and Ranga Raju Vatsavai, A Scalable Gaussian Process Analysis Algorithm for Biomass Monitoring, Statistical Analysis and Data Mining, 4(4), pp 430-445, 2011.
- Varun Chandola, Arindam Banerjee, and Vipin Kumar, Anomaly Detection for Discrete Sequences - A Survey, Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), 2011.
- Chandola, V., Banerjee, A., & Kumar, V. (2009). Anomaly Detection – A Survey. ACM Computing Surveys, 41(3), 1–58.
- Chandola, V., Boriah, S., & Kumar, V. (2009). A Framework for Exploring Categorical Data. In Proceedings of SIAM Data Mining Conference, April 2009.
- Chandola, V., Kumar, V. (2007). Summarization - Compressing Data into an Informative Representation. Knowledge And Information Systems (KAIS), 12(3), 355–378.