Corporate Research Fellow and Group Leader
Geographic Information Science and Technology Group
Computational Sciences and Engineering Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
Phone: (865) 241-9272
Fax: (865) 241-4079
PhD, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Purdue University (1998).
MS, Geology, Kent State University (1995).
MSc, Geology, University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India (1992).
BSc, (Honors), Geology, University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India (1989).
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee (1998 to present)
Dr. Budhendra Bhaduri is a Corporate Research Fellow at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) and leads the Geographic Information Science and Technology (GIST) group within the Computing and Computational Sciences directorate. He is a founding member of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Geospatial Sciences Steering Committee. He is internationally recognized for his leadership role in conceiving, designing, and implementing innovative geocomputational methods and algorithms to solve a wide variety of national and global problems involving population dynamics modeling, natural resource studies, transportation modeling, critical infrastructure protection, and disaster management. He is a principal member of the LandScan global population modeling programs at ORNL, which, in 2006 won a prestigious R&D 100 award as one of the top 100 global technologies serving society. In addition to his contributions in human settlement studies, he has extensive experience of novel implementation of geospatial science and technology in other areas sustainable development research, including human dimensions of critical infrastructure, urbanization and watershed impacts, and energy resource assessment. Dr. Bhaduri is actively involved with academic institutions for scientific collaborations and student engagement for research in geospatial science. He is a recipient of the Department of Energy’s Outstanding Mentor Award for his dedicated service to the department for developing future workforce for the nation.
Awards, Honors, and Certifications
- Corporate Research Fellow in recognition of highest technical excellence in novel development and implementation of geocomputational methods, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Homeland Security Award in the field of Emergency Response to Natural and Man-made Disasters, sponsored by the Christopher Columbus Fellowship Foundation and AgustaWestland North America
- Award for R&D Leadership of the Geographic Information Science and Technology Group and achievement of international recognition for programmatic scientific impacts, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Award for Outstanding Team Effort for Engineering Research and Development, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Letter of Recognition for contributions to the Biomass 2009: Fueling Our Future Conference, the Office of Biomass Program, Department of Energy
- Esprit de Corps Award for Outstanding Community Service, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Best ORNL Laboratory Directed Research and Development Project Award as part of the contributing team
- Keynote Speaker, 2008, NATO Advanced Research Workshop, GeoVisual Analytics: Geographical Information Processing and Visual Analytics for Environmental Security, Trento, Italy.
- Invited Participant, 2007, USDA/ERS and Farm Foundation workshop on "New Developments in U.S. Land-Use Data Collection and Analysis: Implications for Agriculture and Rural Land". October 2007, Washington, DC.
- Guest Editor, 2007, Special issues of Springer’s GeoJournal dedicated towards "The Geography of Global Population Dynamics".
- Invited Speaker, 2005, National Academy of Sciences, Board of Earth Sciences and Resources, Mapping Sciences Committee Meeting (on Land Cover and Land Use Mapping).
Bhaduri, B., Cai, Q., and Rushton, G., 2011. Validation Tests of an Improved Kernel Density Estimation Method for Identifying Disease Clusters. Journal of Geographical Systems, 13(X), p.1, DOI 10.1007/s10109-010-0146-0.
Vatsavai, R.R. and Bhaduri, B. A Hybrid Classification Scheme for Mining Multisource Geospatial Data. GeoInformatica: An International Journal on Advances of Computer Science for Geographic Information Systems, Springer, 2010. DOI 10.1007/s10707-010-0113-4.
Bhaduri, B., Liu, C., Nutaro, J., and Zacharia, T., 2009. Ultrascale Computing for Emergency Evacuation. In Voller J. (ed.), Wiley Handbook of Science and Technology for Homeland Security. Published Online DOI 10.1002/9780470087923.hhs120.
Archibald, R. K., Filippi, A.M., Bhaduri, B.L., and Bright, E.A., 2009. Agricultural mapping using Support Vector Machine-Based Endmember Extraction (SVM-BEE). Optics Express, 47(3), p.771.
Bhaduri, B., Shankar, M., Sorokine, A., and Ganguly, A. R., 2009. Spatio-temporal visualization for environmental decision support. In: Raffaele De Amicis, Radovan Stojanovic, Giuseppe Conti (Eds.), GeoVisual Analytics: Geographical Information Processing and Visual Analytics for Environmental Security, NATO Science for Peace and Security Series - C: Environmental Security. Springer. (in press)
Bhaduri, B. 2008. Population Distribution During the Day. In: Shekhar, S. and Hui Xiong, (Eds). Encyclopedia of GIS. 2008. Springer-Verlag. pp 1377
Vijayaraj V., Bright E., and Bhaduri, B., 2007. Rapid Damage Assessment from High Resolution Imagery, Proceedings of the IEEE International geosciences and remote sensing symposium (IGARSS) 2008, July 5-8 2008, Boston, USA.
Bhaduri, B., Bright E., and Vijayaraj V. 2007. Towards a Geospatial Knowledge Discovery Framework for Disaster Management, Proceedings of the ESA-EUSC 2008: Image Information Mining: pursuing automation of geospatial intelligence for environment and security, Frascati, Italy.
Bhaduri B., Bright, E., Coleman, P, and Urban, M. 2007. LandScan USA: a high-resolution geospatial and temporal modeling approach for population distribution and dynamics. GeoJournal 69:103-117.
Vijayaraj V., Bright E., and Bhaduri, B., 2007. High Resolution Urban Feature Extraction for Global Population Mapping using High Performance Computing, Proceedings of the IEEE International geosciences and remote sensing symposium (IGARSS) 2007, July 23-27 2007, Barcelona, Spain.
Cai, Q., G. Rushton, B. Bhaduri, E. Bright, and P. Coleman.2006. “Estimating Small-area Populations by Age and Sex Using Spatial Interpolation and Statistical Inference Methods.” Transactions in GIS, 10(4): 577–598.
Tobin, K., B. Bhaduri, E.Bright, A. Cheriydat, T. Karnowski, P. Palathingal, T. Potok., J. Price. 2006. “Automated Feature Generation in Large-Scale Geospatial Libraries for Content-Based Indexing.” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing. Vol. 72.
Kenneth W. Tobin, Budhendra L. Bhaduri, Eddie A. Bright, Anil Cheriyadat, Thomas P. Karnowski1, Paul J. Palathingal, Thomas E. Potok, Jeffery R. Price. 2005. Large-Scale Geospatial Indexing for Image-Based Retrieval and Analysis. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Visual Computing, December 2005, Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
Jerome Dobson, Edward Bright, Phillip Coleman, and Bhaduri, Budhendra. 2003. LandScan: a global population database for estimating population at risk. In Remotely Sense Cities, Victor Mesev (Ed.), Taylor & Francis, 378 pp.
Bhaduri, B., Bright, E., Coleman, P., & Dobson, J. 2002. LandScan: Locating people is what matters. Geoinformatics, 5 (2), 34-37.
Bhaduri, B., Minner, M., Tatalovich, S. and Harbor, J., 2001. Long-term hydrologic impact of land use change: A tale of two models. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 127(1), p.13-19.
Bhaduri, B., Harbor, J., Engel, B. and Grove, M., 2000. Assessing watershed-scale, long-term hydrologic impacts of land use change using a GIS-NPS model. Environmental Management, 26(6), p. 643–658.
Bhaduri, B., Harbor, J., Engel, B., and Grove, M., 2000. Assessing long-term hydrologic impacts of land use change using a GIS-NPS model and the World Wide Web. USEPA, Environmental problem Solving with Geographic Information Systems: A National Conference, Cincinnati, OH (EPA/625/R-00/010)