- Borole, A. P.; Reguera, G.; Ringeisen, B.; Wang, Z.-W.; Feng, Y.; Kim, B. H., Electroactive Biofilms: Current Status and Future Research Needs. Energy Environ. Sci. 2011, in press, DOI: 10.1039/c1ee02511b. (link to: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2011/ee/c1ee02511b)
(click to enlarge)
- Borole, A. P., Improving Energy Efficiency and Enabling Water Recycle in Biorefineries Using Bioelectrochemical Cells. Biofuels, Bioproducts & Biorefining 2011, 5, (1), 28-36 (Link title to: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bbb.265/abstract)
(click to enlarge)
- Borole, A.P., Mielenz, J.R., Vishnivetskaya, T.A., Hamilton, C.Y.; Controlling accumulation of fermentation inhibitors in biorefinery recycle water using microbial fuel cells; Biotechnology for Biofuels, 2:7, Published Online: April 1, 2009. (Selected as the top 5 Biology articles by BioMedCentral in 2009).
- Borole, A.P.; Hamilton, C.Y.; Vishnivetskaya, T.A.; Leak, D.; Andras, A.; Morrell-Falvey, J.; Keller, M.; Davison, B.H.; Integrating Engineering Design Improvements with Exoelectrogen Enrichment Process to Increase Power Output from Microbial Fuel Cells; J. Power Sources, In Press, Published Online: February 13, 2009.
Image of the microbial consortium inhabiting anode electrode (carbon felt) of the mixed carbon source MFC. The sample was stained with Syto9 (Molecular Probes). The community is dominated by biofilm-forming organisms.
Composition of microbial consortia from MFC anode.
- Borole, A. P. & Mielenz, J. Estimating Hydrogen Production Potential in Biorefineries Using Microbial Electrolysis Cells. Intl J. Hydrogen Energy, in press (2011).
- Borole, A. P.; Aaron, D. S.; Tsouris, C.; Hamilton, C. Y., Understanding long term changes in microbial fuel cells using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2010, 44, 2740-2745.
- Aaron, D.; Borole, A.; Yiacoumi, S.; Tsouris, C., Effects of Operating Conditions on Internal Resistances in Enzyme Fuel Cells Studied with Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy. Journal of Power Sources 2011, in press
- Borole, A. P.; Hamilton, C. Y.; Vishnivetskaya, T. A., Enhancement in energy conversion efficiency and current density of 3-dimensional MFC anodes using pre-enriched consortium and continuous supply of electron donors. . Bioresour. Technol. 2011, 102, (8), 5098-5104.
- Borole, A. P.; Hamilton, C. Y.; Vishnivetskaya, T. A.; Leak, D.; Andras, C., Improving power production from acetate-fed microbial fuel cells via enrichment of exoelectrogenic organisms in continuous flow systems. Biochem. Eng. J. 2009, 48, 71-80.
- Borole, A. P.; Cesar, S; O’Neill H; Tsouris, C; A microbial fuel cell operating at low pH using an acidophile, Acidiphilium cryptum; Biot. Lett., 30(8):1367-1372, August 2008.
Bioconversion of glucose to electricity using an acidophile, A. cryptum.
- Borole, A. P.; Hamilton, C. Y.; Aaron, D. S.; Tsouris, C., Investigating microbial fuel cell bioanode performance under different cathode conditions. Biot. Prog. 2009, 25, (6), 1630-1636.
- Borole, A. P.; Hamilton, C. Y., Energy production from food industry wastewaters using bioelectrochemical cells. In Emerging Environmental Technologies, Shah, V., Ed. Springer Publications: Dordrecht, 2009; Vol. 2, pp 97-114.
- Borole, A.P.; LaBarge, S.; Spott, B., Three-dimensional, gas-phase, fuel cell with a laccase biocathode. J. Power Sources, 188(2):421-426, March 2009.
- Aaron, D. S.; Tsouris, C.; Hamilton, C. Y.; Borole, A. P., Assessment of the impact of flow rate and ionic strength on performance of microbial fuel cells using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy. Energies2010, http://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/3/4/592/.
- Aaron, D. S., Borole AP, et al. Quantifying the Water Content in the Cathode of Enzyme Fuel Cells via Neutron Imaging. J. Power Sources. 196, 1769, (2010).