Media Contact: Fred Strohl
Communications and Media Relations
Audio Spot: Small businesses benefit from ORNL mentor/protégé program
ORNL Small Business Program Manager Keith Joy said the initiative seeks to help these businesses increase their development.
"It will provide them with the knowledge of how to do business with ORNL and other federal agencies," Joy said. "With the other business development activities we will be performing for them, hopefully they will be able to compete for the contracts in the private sector, as well."
The five companies included in the program are:
* Brandan Enterprises - An Hispanic-owned small disadvantage business providing engineering services, environmental remediation and commercial and institutional building construction.
* Management Solutions LLC - A woman-owned small business conducting engineering and computer related services, as well as administrative management and general management consulting.
* National Resources Management - A woman-owned small disadvantaged business offering scientific, technical, facilities management and engineering services.
* Precision Engineering Contracting Services, Inc. - A Hispanic-owned small disadvantaged business engaged in fabricated structural metal manufacturing, commercial and service industry machinery manufacturing and architectural and engineering services.
* Spectrum Inc. - A black-owned small disadvantaged business working in the areas of engineering services and custom computer program and design services.
Joy said ORNL representatives will counsel these businesses in a number of areas.
"We'll provide developmental assistance to our protégés by giving them management guidance related to financial management, organizational management, overall business management planning and marketing assistance," Joy said.
The program with these five companies lasts for two years.
ORNL is managed by UT-Battelle for the Department of Energy.